Students arriving with parents are expected to register between 4.00pm and 5.30pm on the date of commencement.
Our language rules come into force immediately upon arrival. This is because it has been our experience that in order to maintain the use of the second language it is necessary to exclude the use of English as completely as possible.
- Parents are therefore requested to say goodbye and leave as soon as they have brought students to the reception area.
- Parents should not ask to visit the dormitories or other areas of the school with a student as it puts the managers or other members of staff in the awkward position of having to refuse their request.
- Parents and students can relax in the knowledge that the staff of Euro Languages College is an understanding, caring and warm group of people. They will make every effort to ensure that all students feel welcome and secure from the moment of their arrival.
The manager and assistant manager will be available at the reception area to meet parents and discuss any further information, medical or otherwise that may have come to light since the completion of the original application form.
Students will depart early on the final day of the course. Those parents collecting students are asked to do so by 12 noon. Euro Languages College staff will not be responsible for students who have not been collected after this time.
In 2021, Euro Languages College has decided to cancel the bus transport from Dublin to each course, our reason is that we want to perform Rapid Antigen Testing on site, if the demand exists for a return bus we will look into organizing in advance of the course commencement.
Items Not Allowed
In the interest of preserving the French / German / Spanish atmosphere on our courses the following items are not allowed and any such items will be confiscated:
- mobile phones (please see text 2 sections down in relation to mobile phones)
- any audio equipment such as radios or MP3/4 players
- laptops or any tablet devices such as or similar to i-pad, kindle etc
- items such as or similar to PSPs and Nintendo DS
- audio or reading in any language other than French / German / Spanish are not allowed.
In the interest of student health and safety – alcoholic beverages, tobacco, glue type substances, Tipp-Ex, aerosols (including deodorants) are forbidden and will be confiscated. The same applies to knives, substances such as hair dye or any other objects that the Course Manager deems to be threat to the safety of the students.
E-Cigarettes are not permitted and they will be confiscated.
Euro Languages College International Ltd. accepts no responsibility for the safekeeping of such confiscated items.
Students will be given every help and encouragement to settle in and feel at home. Sometimes this may take a little while. Parents should rest assured that if there is a serious problem in this regard they will be advised by staff. If a student telephones home within the first few days of any course, we would request parents to advise them to stay. It is our experience that even the most homesick do eventually settle down. Students should let managers and teachers know if they are experiencing difficulties. Students may speak to managers or assistant managers in English if they are having problems. (These are the only staff members allowed to speak English and do so only in the case of student distress). The course manager may suggest a visit from parents if he/she feels this would improve the situation. Pastoral care group meetings with students take place on a regular basis.
In the interest of language learning, we advise that students/friends do not request dormitory accommodation together. It is most difficult to speak a second language to one with whom you practice another!
Use of Mobile Phones
Students are not permitted to use mobile phones, however, parents have told us that in the age of having immediate contact with their child they find it difficult when they send their child to Euro Languages College and they have no contact.
On the second evening between 8.00pm and 8.45pm we will allow students to retrieve their mobile phones (if they have brought them) from the confiscated items and to call home to say they have arrived safely etc. The students will have no more then 5 minutes to call but it should reassure you that your child is safe and well and it is possible that you will receive a call anytime in the window between 8.00pm and 8.45pm. Students will then hand back their phones to be kept in the office.
Also, in an effort to simplify the arrangements for Sunday visits students will be again permitted to phone home between the same time period either on the 2 Fridays or 2 Saturdays; the information pack provided closer to the time will confirm the day. This is because we find many students want parents to bring certain items and it can be complicated to pass messages through the office to parents and vice versa. The phones will again be handed back to the office after the call has been made.
To make contact with the course at any other time, you will have to call the college telephone number (provided shortly before course start date).
If any students are found to be abusing the system, e.g. do not hand back their phone at designated time or hand up an old phone whilst keeping their current phone on their person, we will withdraw the privilege from them and inform the parents that they will not be calling from their mobile anymore and all contact must come through the office.
Please note that Euro Languages College accepts no responsibility for the safekeeping of phones if students decide to bring them.
Feedback from staff and student evaluations of our courses indicated very strongly that visits disrupt the continuity of a course. They also affect the French / German / Spanish atmosphere that prevails on our courses. Because of this we strongly advise that no visits take place. For those parents who feel they must visit, visiting time is confined to Sunday afternoon between midday and 5.30 p.m. If you arrive after midday you can still take your son/daughter out of the college but the return time will still be 5.30pm.
- No student will be permitted to leave the college with other relatives, family friends or parents of friends on the course unless specific written authority to do so has been given to the course manager by their parents.
- The Parent / Guardian email addresses given will be the only email addresses from which written permission for Sunday visits etc will be accepted.
- Parents / Guardians should only give written consent for a responsible adult to take their child out of the college.
- Parents and students must leave the college grounds for the full duration of such visits.
- Visitors may not go beyond the reception area of the college while they await the student they are visiting.
- Visitors are requested to keep English to a minimum and not to speak with any student other than their own.
- The same person who signs a student out must sign the student back in to the college.
- Any student who returns to the college under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be liable for immediate expulsion. (see rules).
The above procedures have been drawn up in the students’ own interest and relate to safety, supervision and general behaviour.
Note: The August Bank Holiday Monday is a normal working day at Euro Languages College.
As telephone calls in English also affect the French / German / Spanish atmosphere and because of the large numbers of students on our courses, telephone calls should only be made directly to the course manager in charge. Students will not be allowed make telephone calls except in cases of emergency or homesickness. These will be made directly through the school manager in charge.
The telephone number for each college will be forwarded prior to the commencement of our courses. Please keep this safely as it is a number specially provided for Euro Languages College and is not the official college number.
Emergency Contact Person
At the time of booking you must provide the name, address and telephone number of relative/friend (in Ireland) to act on behalf of the parent(s)/guardian(s) if contact cannot be made in the case of emergency/expulsion. Please provide a suitable responsible adult and inform them that they have been nominated by you and that they WILL be contacted should an emergency arise and/or in the case of a breach of the rules or expulsion only if the parent(s)/guardian(s) cannot be contacted. You may choose to enter the details of a relative, neighbour or family friend.
DO NOT PROVIDE THE DETAILS OF EITHER PARENT/GUARDIAN.
The following is the standard wording with respect to the Employers/Public Liability Insurance which will be put in place through our insurance agents.
EMPLOYERS LIABILITY INSURANCE
Legal liability to pay compensation to all our personnel in respect of death, bodily injury or disease sustained by them and arising out of and during the course of their duties and caused by the negligence of the company, our servants and agents.
PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE
Legal liability to pay compensation as follows:
- Death, bodily injury or disease to any third party person, caused by the negligence of the company, our servants or agents, and arising out of and during the course of the business.
- Damage to third party property, caused by the negligence of the company, our servants or agents, and arising out of and during the course of the business.
You will note that students attending Euro Languages College courses will be considered third parties in the event of a claim; indemnity on any one claim is 6,500,000 Euro.
PLEASE NOTE, STUDENTS’ BELONGINGS ARE NOT INSURED
UNDER EURO LANGUAGES COLLEGE INTERNATIONAL LTD.’S INSURANCE POLICY.
Euro Languages College International Ltd. accepts no responsibility for students’ belongings. We suggest that parents should investigate the possibility of arranging an extension of their household insurance policy to cover students’ belongings.
We would also like to advise students to leave items of value at home that are not suitable for a summer camp environment, as Euro Languages College is not responsible for replacing items that get broken and/or lost.
Permission Regarding Photos & Films
Photos and/or footage may be taken of your child during the course for certain activities or to document life in ELC. Consent is given to use your child’s image in promotional material and publicity. Please inform us in writing if you wish to withdraw this consent to use your child’s image.